The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international, multi-generational, feminist, creative, future-orientated membership organization committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's human rights. A dynamic network of women and men around the world, AWID members are researchers, academics, students, educators, activists, business people, policy-makers, development practitioners, funders, and more.
AWID believes that women's rights are not only necessary in and of themselves, but that they are central to ending the challenges the world faces today. Eradicating poverty, building peace, effectively tackling the HIV and AIDS pandemics, to name just a few - no lasting solutions to these issues are possible without a strategy that puts women's rights at the centre. AWID works to build a world where women's rights have been achieved and where all people enjoy their human rights.
Our values: the principles that guide our work
- Our work is built upon feminist values toward the full equality of women and human rights of all people. This includes work towards the eradication of all discriminations based on gender, sexuality, religion, age, ability, ethnicity, language, nationality, class or other factors.
- We are committed to work as part of a movement to build our collective voice, power and influence.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion by bringing marginalized voices and perspectives to the table in the pursuit of human rights for all.
- In all our interactions we strive for transparency, responsible use of financial resources, fairness, accountability and integrity.
- We will work independently from any political party, government or religious institution.
- We will strive for excellence, while being creative, bold and courageous.
- Build knowledge and understanding of the forces, trends, institutions and aspects that are undermining women's rights and appropriate strategies to address them.
- Create capacity building resources and strategies for and with women's rights advocates, organizations and movements that will strengthen our overall impact.
- Build alliances across differences based on age, sectors, social movements, regions, issues, and communities in order to build a stronger movement for women's rights
- Influence international institutions and actors to strengthen their approaches (beyond commitments) to advance the rights of women worldwide.