The Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Kenya is a non- profit, non-partisan membership organization committed to the creation of a society that is free from all forms of discrimination against women. Membership to FIDA Kenya is open to Kenyan women lawyers and women law students
Our Vision: A just society that is free from all forms of discrimination against women.
At the national level, FIDA Kenya is connected with like-minded players with whom it shares practices and innovations. These include strategic institutions of government through which FIDA Kenya exerts policy and practice influence. FIDA Kenya has a long-term working relationship with parliament and the judiciary and in recognition of its contribution to women rights struggles, FIDA-Kenya sits in a number of strategic committees situated within the government. FIDA Kenya uses these spaces to influence transformative change for indigent woman at national level.
At the international level, FIDA-Kenya is recognized foremost as an African actor in the area of women empowerment. FIDA Kenya enjoys special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and observer status with the African Commission on Human and People's Rights. FIDA Kenya uses these international spaces to bring pressure to bear on the Kenya policy makers in favor of marginalized women.
FIDA Kenya works to eliminate patriarchal norms and practices that discriminate against women through:
- Offering quality legal services to a limited number of women.
- Undertaking transformative public interest litigation.
- Creating awareness on gender and legal rights.
- Conducting community based human rights monitoring.
- Training monitors on documenting and monitoring trends of rights violations.
- Lobbying and advocating for reform of laws and policies that protect women's rights.
- Monitoring the government's compliance with regional and international human rights instruments.