Education and Research Association for Consumer (ERA Consumer Malaysia)
The Education and Research Association for Consumers Malaysia (ERA Consumer Malaysia) acts as a research, education and advocacy group. It builds linkages and works in partnership with community-based organizations and grassroots communities to strengthen their capacity and empower them to participate through initiatives in socio-economic, accountable governance, sustainable agriculture, and ecological endeavors.
ERA Consumer focuses on these core values:
- Research: ERA Consumer is a community based think tank to generate knowledge, information, and innovation to support consumer information, education, protection, and sustainable people centred development process.
- Advocacy: Campaigns through policy inputs, seminars and media dissemination for consumer protection legislation, strengthening the position of women and children and sustaining the environment.
- Empowerment: Developing projects in partnership with vulnerable communities such as workers, farmers, indigenous, children and women. Our current empowerment agenda focuses on The Self Reliant Community Project for rural poor farmers, consumers, indigenous communities on sustainable livelihood, and consumption with equitable access to basic needs through health, consumer education programs.
- Networking: ERA Consumer Malaysia networks with a wide range of organizations at the local, national, regional, and international level to build and enhance solidarity in the social development arena.
- Documentation: Publication of books, reports and articles relating to Consumer Laws, Trade, Food Security, Accountable Governance and Human Rights to be used as reference and lobbying tools.
- Sustainable Practices: Promoting sustainable lifestyles through sustainable livelihood and consumption of rural and vulnerable communities to strengthen access to credit, adequate, safe and nutritious food and able to manage natural resources in a sustainable manner.