ESCR-Net announces new Board members for 2016-2018
ESCR-Net is very pleased to announce the seven recently elected Board members for 2016-2018. The Board was elected with the participation of over 60% of ESCR-Net’s organizational members.
In line with the Network’s core principles of regional diversity, gender balance and inclusion of social movements, ESCR-Net members chose the following of their fellow members to serve on the Board:
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Ruth Aura-Odhiambo, Federation of Women Lawyers (Kenya)
- Asia and the Pacific: Saeed Baloch, Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (Pakistan) and Herman Kumara, National Fisheries Solidarity Movement (Sri Lanka)
- Europe: Sandra Ratjen, Human Rights Consultant (formerly International Commission of Jurists, Switzerland)
- Latin America and the Caribbean: Francisco Rocael, Consejo de Pueblos Wuxhtaj (Guatemala)
- Middle East and North Africa: Hasan Barghouthi, Democracy and Workers Rights’ Center (Palestine)
- Canada and the USA: Cathy Albisa, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (USA)
To read biographies of the new Board members, please visit here.
The roles and responsibilities of the ESCR-Net Board are as follows, to:
- Build the Network both by ensuring broad outreach and providing leadership in responding to events;
- Facilitate Network’s activities and oversee the implementation of the Network’s agenda;
- Ensure the Network operates in adherence with its goals and principles, including operating without discrimination and promoting the leadership of women, marginalized groups and those affected by ESCR violations within the Network;
- Ensure effective functioning of the Secretariat, including the creation of new positions;
- Fundraise for the Network, in coordination with the Secretariat and the Working Groups, and establish a financial strategy for the Network;
- Review and approve the annual report of the Network;
- Oversee financial matters of the Network, including approving and monitoring the annual budget of the Network;
- Approve projects and work plans undertaken by the Network;
- Serve as a representative of the Network;
- Participate in and attend the required meetings and conference calls necessary to ensure the functioning of the Board;
- Participate in at least one Working Group of the Network;
- Appoint the Director of the Network; and
- Any other functions or responsibilities assigned by the General Assembly.
ESCR-Net would like to express its deep gratitude to outgoing Board members: Hossam Bahgat (outgoing Chairperson), Ximena Andión-Ibanez, Legborsi Saro Pyagbara, and Minerva Gonzales. They have been central to the collective growth and deepening impacts of the network over the past three years. We look forward to their ongoing leadership in other areas of ESCR-Net.