Media Advisory: Grassroots, Global South, Feminist and Indigenous Leaders Demand Human Rights be Centered in Addressing Loss and Damage
For Immediate Release
COP27 Side event
November 10, 2022 16:45-18:15
Grassroots, Global South, Feminist and Indigenous Leaders Demand Human Rights be Centered in Addressing Loss and Damage
There is no denying that the historical and present responsibility for the climate crisis lies primarily with wealthy, highly industrialized countries and powerful corporate actors. Despite contributing the least to the climate crisis, frontline communities in the Global South are paying the price with the destruction of their territories and the erasure of their cultural heritage.
Finally, after decades of inaction and delay, Loss and Damage is on the Agenda at COP 27, but without centering human rights, what can we expect? This critical side event is grounded in the voices and analysis of social movements, frontline communities and feminist leaders, focusing on the need to address loss and damage from a human rights perspective.
What: COP 27 Side event “ ‘Loss and Damage, Human Rights & State and Corporate Accountability- Our Fight for Climate Justice”
Who: This event is co-organized by The International Network for Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights Network (ESCR-Net), Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law, and Development (APWLD), International Women’s Rights Action Watch Asia Pacific (IWRAW-AP), La Ruta del Clima, Climate Action Network Latin America (CANLA), Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL)
- Moderator: Marisa Hutchinson (IWRAW-AP) (Barbados)
- Adrián Martínez Blanco (La Ruta del Clima) (Costa Rica):
- Mela Chiponda (FEMNET; Women & Gender Constituency ; ESCR-Net) (Zimbabwe)
- Christopher Bartlett (Vanuatu)
- Ana Celestial (Kalikasan; APWLD) (Philippines)
- Alejandro Aleman (CAN Latin America) (Honduras)
When: November 10, 2022 16:45-18:15
Where: Side Event Room Memphis
Note to editors:
- ESCR-Net connects over 280 NGOs, social movements and advocates across more than 75 countries to build a global movement to make human rights and social justice a reality for all.
- For more information about our position on Loss and Damage, please see the following additional information:
Briefing Loss and Damage
Collective Submission on Loss and Damage to the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights & Climate Change
Keep in touch with ESCR-Net: