Information We Collect From You and How We Collect It
Depending on how you use of the Services and its features, we or third parties working on our behalf may collect information about you. The type of information we collect from or about you may include: name, address, telephone number, email address, country, language preferences, demographic information such as your gender, information about your organization or affiliations, and any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may collect this information when you:
- Contact us through the website
- Join a discussion group or subscribe to a listserv;
- Sign a petition;
- Make a donation to us;
- Connect with us via social media platforms;
- Post user-generated content on public forums or blogs;
- Apply for employment or an internship with us; and
- Use various functions of the Services.
We may also collect information, as mentioned above, about you from third parties, such as ESCR-Net Member organizations. See current list of members: www.escr-net.org/members
We will retain your information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with the Services, we may use “cookies” or other technologies to assist us in collecting certain information. Cookies are small text files that a website or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your browser (if your browser allows it) that enables our website’s or service provider’s systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
When you use the Services, cookies and similar technologies may collect:
- Details of your visits to the Services, including data about the features that you access and use; and
- Information about the computer or device and internet connection used to access the Services, such as your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
These technologies do not collect information that can directly identify you, but we may link the information we collect through these cookies to personal information about you from other sources, including information you provide to us.
We use the information gathered by cookies and similar technologies to:
- Help us remember and understand your preferences based on your previous or current site activity to make the Services more easily navigable and more useful for you; and
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to improve the Services.
We may also use third-party services, such as Google Analytics, to help us collect this information. To learn more about Google Analytics’ privacy practices, please click here.
Most browsers include tools to help you manage cookies. For example, you should be able to choose to have your browser warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off (i.e., refuse to accept) all cookies. Each browser is different, however, so please consult your browser’s “Help” menu to learn the correct way to modify how your browser handles cookies. You can find more information about cookies and how to disable cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Keep in mind that we need certain information in order to provide the Services to you. If you disable cookies, you may no longer be able to use or access some features of the Services.
Third-Party Tracking, Links, and Advertisements
How We Use and When We Share Your Information
We may use the information we collect from you in the following ways:
- To provide you with information you requested;
- To sign you up for our listserv;
- To communicate with you;
- To respond to your correspondence or communications with us;
- To connect you with resources that may be of interest to you;
- To serve our legitimate business purposes and comply with our legal obligations;
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal; and
- To improve our Services in order to better serve you.
We may share your information with Members, subcontractors, vendors, and/or other third-parties for the purposes listed above. In certain circumstances, we may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Services and use or share that aggregated and/or de-identified information for additional purposes.
ESCR-Net operates globally. In the event we transfer your information to a country outside the EEA, such as the United States, and that country does not provide an adequate level of protection for personal information, we will ensure that appropriate and suitable safeguards are in place.
Legal Bases for Processing of Your Information
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to operate our organization, provide security for the Services, or to make and receive payments.)
- Where use of your information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
How We Protect Your Information
We use appropriate administrative, technical, and physical measures designed to prevent unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorized modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss of personal information.
Although we exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information and storage of the information provide us through the Services, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no means of electronic or physical storage, is absolutely secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Access to and Control of Your Personal Information
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls regarding our collection, use, and sharing of your information. Depending on your local laws, you may have certain rights with respect to your information, including the right to request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you;
- Prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any automated processing or direct marketing processing based on profiling);
- Update information which is out of date or incorrect;
- Delete certain information which we are holding about you;
- Restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information;
- Transfer your information to a third party provider of services; and
- If you provided consent for the processing of your information, to revoke that consent.
You may exercise your control and choices over your information by emailing us at email@example.com.We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request. If applicable, you can lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your jurisdiction
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information through the Services or on or through any of its features. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will promptly delete that information. We do not knowingly process the data of EU residents under the age of 16. If we become aware we are processing the data of an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. If you believe we might have personal information from or about a child under 13, or EU resident under 16, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Privacy Rights
California law gives residents of California the right under certain circumstances to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of personal information (as defined by applicable California law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. However, we do not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
370 Lexington Ave, Suite 700
New York, NN 10017
ESCR-Net Institutional Development Director Greta Salazar de Villacis is our acting Data Protection Officer and can be contacted at email@example.com.