Human Rights and Business Treaty
ESCR-Net members and allies are working collectively to advocate for a strong treaty at the United Nations to prevent and remedy human rights violations by transnational corporations and other companies. This page provides key documents and examples of collective advocacy towards the development of a binding instrument.
Around the world, ESCR-Net members and others are confronting widespread and systemic corporate human rights abuses. This trend is intensified by lack of effective regulation in both the home and host States of corporations and a failure to ensure effective access to remedy and accountability.
For more than a decade, ESCR-Net members have been taking collective action to advance the development of a clear and comprehensive international human rights framework on corporate accountability, including an international binding treaty on human rights and business.
- IGWG’s draft elements for the treaty
- CAWG’s ‘Take action towards a strong treaty’ updated advocacy factsheet (2017)
- CAWG’s collective submission to the IGWG (2017)
- CAWG’s advocacy position on gender and the treaty (2017)
- CAWG’s advocacy position on corporate capture and the treaty (2017)
- CAWG’s advocacy position on human rights defenders and the treaty (2017)
- CAWG’s collective submission to the IGWG (2016)
- ESCR-Net and FIDH’s 10 Key Proposals on the proposed treaty (2016)
- Resolution 26/9 of the Human Rights Council (2014)
- CAWG’s publication on States’ extraterritorial obligations – “Global Economy, Global Rights – A Practitioners’ Guide for interpreting human rights obligations in the global economy” (2014)
Collective advocacy by the Corporate Accountability Working Group and allies to encourage the development of a robust treaty on human rights and business includes:
- CAWG action at the IGWG treaty negotiation sessions (2015-2017)
- CAWG input into CESCR’s new general comment on economic, social and cultural rights in the context of business activities (2016-2017)
- ESCR-Net and FIDH joint Treaty Initiative project (2015-2016)
- CAWG engagement with the Treaty Alliance (2014 – present)
- CAWG publication on States’ extraterritorial obligations (2014)
Materials for advocacy:
For more information, please contact Alexandra Montgomery.
- Sunday 22 October
- Monday 23 October
- Tuesday 24 October
- Wednesday 25 October
- Thursday 26 October
- Friday 27 October
Video interviews with ESCR-Net members
- Treaty Initiative (project co-facilitated with FIDH).
- Treaty Alliance (co-founded by ESCR-Net with diverse allies).
- Peoples’ Forum on Human Rights & Business (strategic convenings of members & allies).
- Common Charter for Collective Struggle (initially drafted by the Social Movement Working Group and adopted by Members in 2016).